Saturday, November 17, 2007

Get down, get funky, get loose!

Do you ever find yourself up at really stupid early hours in the morning? Yeah, I did, this morning. I woke up around my normal "school" time, but it's Saturday and since I couldn't get back to sleep, I started watching an infomercial hosted by the two guys from Air Supply. (Lord help me.) They were pitching those compilation CD's that are so popular--soft rock hits.

The music on the infomercial reminded me of all the music I listened to as a little kid/pre-teen. I wasn't allowed out much at that point and so I'd hang out in my room, turn up the music (wasn't allowed to watch much television, either), practice the hair and make up thing, and eventually put on high heels, grab a hairbrush, and sing and dance around my room.

At one point they showed John Waite, so that made me go look for this John Waite song. Well, then I thought I this Baby's song.

Then, I heard my favorite Bonnie Tyler song! I love this song...and I can sing it!

So I guess you should know what I was dancing to in my room, huh? For dancing around the room when I was a youngin', I especially loved a good groove and rhythm.

However, one fateful New Year's Eve, a local D.J. on the radio played what he said he thought were bands that would be huge in the future--his predictions for the year(s) to come. I vividly remember hearing two songs, "New Years Day" by U2 (yeah, we didn't hear from them again) and one that would change my life forever. I had always listened to hard rock, even as a young child, but THIS BAND just blew me away!

Geez, I remember the days of sitting in front of MTV for hours waiting for Motley Crue and Iron Maiden .


4 comments:

Jeffro said...

I don't seem to even get Air Supply commercials - it's usually Esteban selling his guitar and lessons. Gah.

Then there is Tom O'Dell on the knife show, and the two gals selling sex toys. You'd think they would really get my attention, but I generally fall asleep.

Heh - my word verification is clowm. Send in the Clowms!

Sezme said...

I'm thinking about taking up guitar (need a hobby), but I don't think I'll be buying one from the faux man in black. He's a creepy guy.

Is a clowm part clown, part worm? Ha!

DBA Dude said...

How are you going to find the time for a hobby?

Electric guitars are a lot easier to play than acoustics - and you are still young enough to make it as a heavy metal rock chick!

Sezme said...

DBA:
I figured I could practice a few times a week. I've got to do something that uses my brain. Exercise for a half an hour and then practice a bit. Believe it or not, as busy as I am, I still get really bored. I need to be engaged in something. I've been like this my whole life. I'm not a fidigity spaz or anything, but my brain gets bored.

Thanks for the tip. I was going to get a narrow-neck acoustic because of the crooked pinkies, but since electric guitars can be hooked up to headphones, I could probably do that, too. Heh, I could be the fourth guitar player in Iron Maiden!