Saturday, November 17, 2007

APPEARANCE VS. REALITY


I was just reading an email a friend of mine sent to me. It was a grouping of pictures meant to make me smile. One picture jumped out at me. It is Arnold Schwarzenegger as a young man and as he has been seen recently.

I'm not criticizing him. In fact, I dare say even his younger photo wasn't all him. As we all know, perfection is only found in Photoshop, airbrushing, and retouching. We will all, to some degree or another, end up like the "older" picture and not the younger.

While I was at the movies, today (American Gangster--it is good and thought provoking--go see it), I looked around me. I didn't see anyone particularly model quality. I saw couples (tend to see them more when you are alone) who decided to forgo bullshit and decided that what they had to offer each other beyond looks was more important, and you know what? They were happy.

Because of my profession, I am surrounded by adolescent angst all of the time. It is easy to absorb that angst and get all caught up in the things that one gets caught up in as a teenager all over again. Often, I find myself walking around school with the same negative thoughts I had about myself when I was younger. Dumb, but it happens. So today my heart was lifted by seeing adults being adults and putting the bullshit aside.


Speaking of the bullpucky of shallowness, here's a song that addresses the vibe of "appearance versus reality." I've heard the song, "Fake It" by
Seether a lot this week, so I thought I'd share. I'm sure the men-folk will like the scantily clad women and there is the use of the "F" word (fair warning). It is a good song, nonetheless.

Another song I heard today, that I really like, but had not listened to in a really long time is
"Drift and Die" by Puddle of Mudd. I really like the words.

6 comments:

Dionne said...

The picture of him today looks fake to me. If it is real why in the world would he wear a speedo at his age? I guess maybe just for swimming??

DBA Dude said...

Your Fake It link gives a "video not available" message.

Found it elsewhere on YouTube :)

Sezme said...

Dee:
A lot of men wear speedos that shouldn't (at his age). Something tells me you've never been to the Jersey shore when the Canadian men arrive. HA! ;P

Here is
a picture
I found of him, and here is
a blog
with a side-view picture of him if you scroll down to the bottom of the screen. If they turn out to be fake-sorry-but hopefully the point I was making survives. :)

DBA:
I re-linked it. Hopefully, it works this time.

Thanks guys.

Anonymous said...

Suddenly i don't feel so bad about my body. lol

Anonymous said...

Hey, where's your Sunday post??
It's 10:30am already.

BTW, never buy speedos at a second hand store. Eeew

Skul

Sezme said...

Well, Skul, to be honest, I've been working on sorting through some old clothes all morning. I'm entering a size smaller than what I've been wearing, so I'm looking to recycle before I spend more money.

Oh, and ewwwwwwwwww! Used speedos, blek.

I once had a guy friend who wore them all the time. Guess he was used to them, as he used to be on a swim team. Hubba hubba...they looked really good on him. It was hard being his best friend sometimes. Sometimes. Heh.