Friday, November 23, 2007

Dinner with Daddy

Well, I managed to not make my dad ill with my cooking. I haven't cooked in three years. I was able to stand and cook for about a half an hour and I only needed to sit while I was carving the turkey (need to work on that skill). My dad was appreciative company. He really liked the food. That was nice, but what he said to me when I left was even better: "This has been the best Thanksgiving I've had in years." That meant a lot to me.

There were a lot of years that I didn't say much more than hello to my dad. I was painfully aware of it while I sat at his dining room table. I sat there thinking of all the time I'd spent in that house with my grandmom, talking, getting advice, or listening to her tell me about my family background. My dad was always kind of in and out, or nodding off in a chair. Until a few years ago, my bitterness about my childhood got in the way of me wanting to even really talk to him. Then I prayed about it. I prayed for a better relationship with my dad. It is not good to walk around with bitterness. No hurt is worth your soul.

I wish we had more family around us at dinner. I'm used to big crowds on my mom's side. Before we all split up into our little groups (because of marriages and children), we had over 30 people going to my aunt's house.

I've always wanted to be the one take my aunt's place as she got older. You know, be the one with "the house" where everyone went for family gatherings. Despite what people perceive about me, I'm really sentimental and really need to be around family. I want to be the entertainer. However, God hasn't blessed me in that area yet, and maybe it is so I can be a better daughter before I can be any good to a big crowd.

I've already decided that my dad will be spending Christmas at my apartment.

I'll be glad when my dad sells that house, but part of me thinks he won't. I think it will be too much for him, emotionally.

Also, please keep my aunt in your prayers. She isn't reacting too well to her chemo treatments. Please pray for her so that she can still have those family gatherings with her children and their families.

When it is all said and done, we need family.

4 comments:

DBA Dude said...

Glad to hear that it all went well yesterday rt.

Xmas dinner should be a lot easier with that practice under your belt.

Sezme said...

DBA:
It went very well. My dad is a bit picky and he really liked my cooking, so I was happy.

Christmas dinner will be much easier, especially on my own turf.

IHeartQuilting said...

Prayers from here, RT.

Sounds like you both will be looking forward to Christmas together. I miss my Dad, especially at this time of year. Enjoy the time you have with him.

Sezme said...

Yeah. We need each other. My grandmom died last year the day after Christmas and I'm trying to not let it influence how I celebrate Christmas this year. So far, so good.