Sunday, November 11, 2007

Favente Deo supero

Favente Deo supero
By God's favour I conquer


Sometimes things happen and you are left scratching your head. I was back over my dad's, today. Two in-state relatives that I've never spoken to for more than conversation at funerals came to bring my dad a birthday cake. It was very nice of them (dad's aunt and cousin). My aunt lost her husband about a month or so ago. Along with her, she brought my dad two of my unlce's prized possessions, purchased in Scotland. She also brought me a kilt pin. It is really pretty. Actually, I was really moved by her gesture. I didn't do more than kind of look at it, as her kindness made me a little choked up.

As you can tell by yesterday's post, I'm feeling a little blah. I've been feeling that way for a while, but I've tried really hard to not bring it to the blog. This is where I come to garner some humor and to talk to people. I don't want to chase y'all off with my "stuff."

When I said yesterday that I've been praying for change, one of the things I pray for within all of that is for God's favor. The only way I can explain it to you is that it means I'm asking God for His grace in my journeys, my decisions, and how I'm provided for--finances and such. Things have been tough for a while and I've about reached my limit. That's what's been bothering me lately. One thing after another, over and over, one hurt followed by another.

So I pray for favor and grace.

When I got home tonight, I decided to look up the latin on the pin. God had one of those "ha" moments at my expense when I saw that it said, "By God's favour I conquer." That motto for my family name could not be more fitting, especially when I look at things from a big picture point-of-view.

A funny from the clan kilt pin crest? In the center, is a hand holding a pen. (See above, right...left is an example of a kilt pin)

Hmmm. . .

(I did find out that my dad's great-grandmother was a stage singer/actress in Scotland. So that is where I get my obnoxiousness and love for music and the arts, eh?)

8 comments:

IHeartQuilting said...

Isn't it funny how a sign comes to you when you need it?

Sezme said...

Yes. And I really need it lately. Big time. :)

DBA Dude said...

Good karma coming your way - about time it arrived.

Sezme said...

A Scotsman talking Karma, too funny! HA!

God is storing up all the good and is just gonna plunk it down on my head one of these days. All the frustration is because I wanna hop to it and God is saying "WAIT." Grrr.

Dan said...

Hey, so I was randomly looking up my family name crest and motto, and it reads " By gods favor", I then also stumbled across your blog and was wondering what your last name was? My family is also has alot of scottish background. Anyways just a random queston.
God Bless
- Dan Wilkie

RT said...

It isn't Wilkie, but you might be a sept of the Camerons.

Anonymous said...

Favente deo is the family motto for the Reynolds family also.

Don Reynolds

Unknown said...

Mikles is my last name and this is on our crest