Sunday, November 18, 2007

Blessings

Tonight my dad called to tell me that after a nap (must run in the family) he felt the need to go outside and check on things. When he did, he found a frozen turkey, instant potatoes, Stove-Top stuffing, cranberry jelly/goo, gravy, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, and a pumpkin pie. There was a cross on it, but no note.

Wow! I'm glad someone thought of my dad. He doesn't always mention to people that he has a daughter, so maybe someone thought he'd be alone, or just wanted to reach out to my dad during the holidays. Whatever the reason, he and I are both grateful and feel blessed by this act of generosity.


My mom was going to cook dinner for me to take over to my dad's Thursday. I've never cooked a full Thanksgiving meal and she's an awesome cook, so those were the plans (she's going to my aunt's). Now, I get to cook for my dad at his house. I'm really excited. I can cook and I've watched my mom and grandmothers closely for many years. My mom's dad had a small restaurant until I was about four or five. It is in the blood.

I just wanted to share this unexpected blessing. They happen-big and small.


Oh, and yes, I have a song for you! HA!

8 comments:

DBA Dude said...

That was a very kind stranger.

Are you going to cook it covered with foil? Usually works out the best - unwrap for the last 20 mins to crisp up the skin.

Have a happy holiday.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd like to hear how you cook your Turkey.

Anonymous said...

Don't answer Von, RT. You know he's up to no good.

MY mom used to make a side dish with creamed corn, some other stuff, and of all things, oysters. I loved it.

Hiya Von, long time no see.

Skul

Old NFO said...

That was Great RT! It is nice to know there are people who still care... Use a paper grocery bag, keeps the Turkey nice and moist. :-)

Sezme said...

DBA:
That was something very kind to do. I do feel a little guilty, though. I was planning on taking dinner to my dad and possibly someone who might have needed the food more than my dad might not have received the food. It was an extremely kind and generous thing for someone to do, though. I know it means a lot to my dad.

Von:
In an oven? Heh...I could go so many place with turkey and stuffing jokes (and giblets).

Skul:
That sounds like a really interesting side dish. I don't like oysters. My grandmom used to make oyster stew and I thought the oysters looked like eyeballs, so I refused to eat the stew. I still won't touch oysters. I like oyster crackers, though. HA!

NFO:
I think I'll use foil or one of those oven bags. Paper grocery bags have too many chemicals.

My grandmom used to bake her shortbread on paper bags because they absorbed a lot of the oils from the butter. She stopped using bags because of all of the chemicals about 15-20 years ago.

I am now the maker of the shortbread. HA!

IHeartQuilting said...

That was a great gesture. When I was a single parent, my church used to do the same for us occasionally. It's always so nice to know people care, even when they are strangers. It kind of gives you hope, ya know?

I may not have time tomorrow, so - Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!!

Sezme said...

I think hope is something I'm a little of short of these days.

Have a nice Thanksgiving; enjoy your blessings. :)

Dionne said...

What a blessing, awesome!!!!