Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Teacher


I have had students in the past who have made me want to quit teaching, but more than those scant few, I have had students that remind me of how important it is to be caring toward others.

This is why...

  • I put up with bullshit.
  • I remind myself everyday that it's not about me.
  • I keep the letter with all of its misspellings that tells me what a difference I made in a student's life when he felt that he had nothing special to offer.
  • I re-read a yearbook entry by a student that said I changed his view of education. He will graduate from UPenn this year.
  • I kid/joke, take joy in their joys, show concern when they hurt, and visit their guidance counselors when they look down.
  • they are my waking thought at 4 a.m. and why I am thinking about some of them right now.
  • I praise any small ounce of goodness in any student.
  • even the badasses don't give me shit.
  • I'm a teacher. It goes beyond pay, pensions, benefits, and summers off...it is about impacting people in a good way to help ensure they have a future. They live for "now," but we know as adults that they have a long road ahead of them and they deserve a chance to not hit so many potholes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that just made me all sentimental and weepy. Now I must go on Diablo and kill something.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Cripes, if Philly cops did things just for the pay, we wouldn't stand up to stop a kid stealing a lolly.

Of course, we don't do it for the pay . . . I do it for the babes. Heh.

Sezme said...

DL:
Happy slaying!

Wyatt:
I don't know...you've said in the past that you used to work Kensington....I don't think I need to finish that thought. ;P

Ssssteve said...

RT, those of you that see this as a calling are the best teachers there are! And not enough of you out there!

Sezme said...

I wanted to quit every day for the first four years. The letter I received and the note in my yearbook kept me teaching.