Saturday, December 29, 2007

Shredded

I was reading an article about New Yorkers shredding bad memories of 2007. Some people shredded past relationships, some of bosses, some even shredded objects: cell phones, papers, obsessions, and one man shredded a garbage can. In a tongue in cheeck way, the bad memories were to be attached to everything shredded. (H/T: Breitbart)

But do you really get rid of those memories?


It is all well and good to say, "I've let go" of whatever it is that seems to hold onto the emotions or psyche.


I forgive by nature and I am always the one to say, "Let's just move forward." After all, people are human and given to regrettable behavior. I know I've done things in the past that leave me less than proud of myself. (Maybe it is me just giving in to the idea that people suck 90 percent of the time. Forgiveness seems the most productive thing to do.)


So, if I could shred anything, it wouldn't be past relationships with people or objects of my ire. What would be the point? I think I'd shred things about myself.


I would definitely get over my fear of flying. There is so much to see and I want to see it.

I'd get rid of the angst I have about my health. I've treated what God gave me badly and I have one side of my family riddled with cancer and the other side dropping to Parkinsons. It seems to consume my thoughts and I don't like it. Of course, going to the doctors every six months, lots of blood tests, and being put through other tests/procedures doesn't help.

I'd shred my fear of being hurt. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

I'd like to unshred and reconstitute the side of me that seems to have disappeared. I don't mean that in a "woe-is-me" kind of way. Somewhere along the way, I have stopped really living. I've been trying to figure it out. Sometimes, I feel like there's a glass wall and I keep hitting it head on, going nowhere, but with lots of effort.
Do you ever feel like you're out of step with everyone around you? They seem to proceed, but you seem to be in the same spot? Yeah, I have been feeling that way a lot, lately.

I hate the end of the year. It's too negative, when it should be hopeful and a clean slate.

4 comments:

Buckaroo Banzai said...

I'm shredding all of my bad posts, but since there weren't any, I guess I'm out of luck. HA!

Sezme said...

HA!

IHeartQuilting said...

I'd also like to get rid of my phobia of flying. I usually have to medicate myself to fly.

I also would like to get rid of my fear of heights. I can't walk near the center railing in a mall from the 2nd or 3rd floor, or look over without feeling freaked out. Being a passenger in a car going over a bridge can be a problem too. Driving them I'm usually OK, if I stick to the center lanes.

I like this idea of letting go of things.

Sezme said...

Sometimes our fears become a comfort zone of sorts.

Except for April, I have at least one long weekend each month for the rest of the school year (plus a week off in March). I need to do something. Tired of watching the parade pass by.