Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sunday Song

This week's Sunday song is a two-fer. I really like the group, Selah. They have a new female singer, so the awesome, smoky voice you hear has been replaced by a non-smoky, but equally talented singer (in case you go looking for their music). The song "Wonderful Merciful Savior" moves me.

I've made it no secret that I pray a lot. Often, I feel like I am asking God to move every mountain in the world. Watching the little girl in this video dance among people fully laid out in prayer reminds me of a couple of things. The first thing I'm reminded of is the complete innocence I once possessed. Because of that innocence, I had such faith. I used to sit at a window next to my bed from the time I moved into my grandmom's house until I left it to go sow some oats in Los Angeles. I'd sit and stare at the sky and the stars and pray. My whole life I prayed for the same things and continue to do so. Ironically, my bed is next to a window even now and I often find myself moving the curtain a bit to stare at the sky at night. Often, I wonder where God is in my prayers. I believe He hears me, sees my hurts, my struggles, my hopes and desires. I find myself thinking back to that innocent kid, before all the real hurts of life.

Watching this little girl also reminded me of when I used to look for an excuse to dance. I took lessons when I was small, but it became too costly for me to continue. Whenever I was home alone (which was a lot) or banished to my room (which was voluntary, given the alternative) I'd put on music and dance. I'd get dance books from the library and memorize the photos and copy them. I understand and "get" the complete freedom and innocence of the little girl in the video: The complete innocence and freedom to dance around like no one is watching (to borrow a cliche) and to believe God hears me and sees everything that happens in my life.

Artist: Selah
Song: "Moving Mountains"


No comments: