Saturday, October 06, 2007

A search, poetry, name association, music...

It all started with a search someone did for "psychobilly poems" that led him or her to my sitemeter. I was a bit intrigued. I like psychobilly music and had never heard that there was a form of it in poetry. (Well, I see music as poetry, but not all of the academics do, so I have to make a distinction lest I anger the literary gods.)

Well, I haven't found anything, but it did lead me to the Beat poet era. No, the era did not gain its name from poets being beaten! (I know you wiseasses too well.) To be short and sweet, it has to do with how the poems were written and how they were expected to be read. Better said: I was reading some Modern American poetry and came across a poet that seemed interesting to me.

Like most poets, Anne Sexton was very troubled. I think that is what causes good poets to write such expressive poetry. They are bubbling over with emotion and are so in touch with their inner-workings that they can craft words that show the pictures of their minds. (Makes me kind of glad that my own poetry sucks.) As I continued my meandering around the poetry sites, I decided to read some of her poetry and then decided I'd share a few of her poems:

The Kiss
The Big Heart
Cinderella (The end of the poem is great!)

Funny thing is, while I was rifling through the poetry and reading ones that I really like, but found too personal a reaction to share (lest you know what is going on with me), I had a moment of name association. I was reminded of a "one-hit wonder" named Charlie Sexton. I know...my brain is skeeeery. Thought I'd share that song, too. (I remember thinking this guy was so cool.)

4 comments:

DBA Dude said...

Must be a problem at my end 'cos I could only see one of the verses at a time.

It read pretty well and I agree with you on the music!

Had to turn off the dodgy video damned fast though :)

Sezme said...

Yeah...YouTube is a mess lately.

Sent the poems to you. Enjoy.

RobC said...

I agree on the poets and troubled minds theory.
The only times I attempt poetry is when I have fallen in love or out of love or when the Spirit leads me. Weird... but usually mine sucks too. :-)
And yes... lyrics is poetry set to music, to heck what the academics say.

Sezme said...

YEAH! :)