Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Smackdowns!

Since Faith Hill and Kevin...Mr. Spears-Federline have received a smackdown this week, I thought I'd share two short stories of "burns" that I had to deliver to two students this week.

Yesterday, during a critique of the school newspaper, a student from the first year class was going on and on about a few mistakes that should have been caught, but had been addressed. When I say "on and on," I mean the girl would not shut up and was quite nervy. That's when I asked, "And they didn't print any of your articles in the paper this edition, did they?" Yeah...the class was silent at first and then a few said, "buuuuuuuuuuurn!" I then invited her to copy edit the entire paper during the next layout. Simply, we have too many people copy-editing and weird stuff happens.

Today, I had study hall. We have a rotating schedule. There is a girl in my study hall who is very bossy and likes to tell the teachers what she is going to do. Well, she became uppity and rude, as kids with no sense of respect often do. She left the study hall and I put her in for a cut. Then she came back at the end of the study hall with a pass from her music teacher. (She had a lesson and all I did was tell her to wait two minutes while I retrieve a sign-out sheet..to which she replied, "I don't have time for this.") Now...she returns...and I start to tell her why I became gruff earlier and why she needs to work on understanding that she is expected to do things a certain way (they are the rules). Well, she kept interrupting me and she became rude. Afterall, I'm the hired help in her world. I told her, "you are a child; I am an adult, and you need to do what you are told when you are told to do it. When someone tells you to wait two minutes so that something that can benefit you can be done, you need to sit down and wait two minutes." She was speechless. RT 2 Rude kids 0 (Note: During our first run-in, students told her she should just sit down.)

I never talk to kids this way. But they just got on my last nerve and did the cha cha. In fact, I was trying to clear an area of the school after a bell and one of my students saw me and he said, "Ms. **, are you trying to be mean again? It isn't gonna work. You're too nice."

One more day until my four-day weekend! Ahhhhhh.....

6 comments:

John DuMond said...

It never ceases to amaze me how mouthy and disrepectful kids are getting. At this rate, we're a generation or two away from "Children of the Corn."

Sezme said...

She just wouldn't stop. She got worse when I told her the more she argued the more time she wasted because I wasn't able to get a stupid sign-out sheet prepared for the study hall. Seriously, it would have taken like two minutes. My study hall buddy hadn't arrived to class yet and I had almost 120 kids in the study hall that I was trying to keep in order while I tried to get everything together. I hate study hall.

Anonymous said...

I hate study hall too. Glad I got that over with. More parents need to understand, and teach their children the "I'm the adult, you're the child" concept.

Sezme said...

Yep...I could tell that student had never heard of that concept.

I had to stop class (honors) three times today because when a student was offering what was pretty good insight and opinion, pockets of conversation took place. Ugh...finally get the real literature discussion college-type thing going and stupid rude kids have to frak with it.

Ssssteve said...

RT, I train (teach) RV Technicians how to work on my products. travel all over doing it. So when I am talking and there are people in the group holding conversation it drives me nuts! I think that is the most rude thing someone could do while someone is talking. It shows total disrespect for the one instructing or teaching. It's one of my pet peeves.

Sezme said...

I simply stop, become very silent, and I state, "I'll wait." If it gets out-of-hand I tell them, "we can do this now, or we can do this after school."

You don't have either option, but I've been in "training" situations as an employee (outside of teaching). If you're able, do things where some conversation is encouraged and where there is some movement from time to time...they might have a little more attention span when things are broken up every now and then.