Saturday, February 16, 2008

Picture of the Day

Today, I ventured out of hotel and took a walk. It felt nice to walk around a quiet town and not worry about getting hit by a car, followed by some freak, or have to deal with people yelling not-so-nice stuff at the fat girl. I walked for close to a half an hour, without pain, up and down hills. I would not have been able to do that a year ago, so that made me really happy.

Before my walk, I went to this little coffee shop. I had a yummy bagel and a mocha smoothie. YUM! While I was ordering I noticed on their menu board that they serve beer. The first one listed? Guinness. This place must be visited again! (The picture is a little crappy, but that's the fun of cell phones.)

As I sat in my comfy leather chair in a quiet corner, I observed some folks. (Well, I didn't have anyone to talk to, what else was I going to do?) I looked across the street outside and saw the "downtown" first-run movie theater, looked around the shop and saw various peeps on their computers, reading, doing paperwork, and watched as people from the play I was going to came in for their coffee. Watching the characters and listening to them made me think that this town is begging for a song or a book to be written about it. I wish I had that kind of talent. I'm a good collaborator, but I need to work on writing on my own...I'm a little rough.

So, back to that walk: I window shopped a bit and ended up going into some "catch-all" store from which I bought a journal, a pair of locally crafted earrings, and some lavender scented lotion. I love the smell of lavender.

Then I went to the play. MacBeth is not a play I've read. My college professor thought we should read the plays that aren't the biggies. Great. However, I knew enough to understand what was happening. I really liked this acting company (See this post and the provided links). They had some comic relief, really good actors, singing, and they served booze before the play and during each interlude. There were seats on the stage and I actually sat right behind them, next to the stage. Did I spend more money? Yep. I bought a couple of resource guides that will with my teaching of a play that I teach my classes, and I bought a t-shirt of Shakespearean insults. I'll have to shrink to wear it, but that's why I bought it.

I'm going to return, I think. I have really enjoyed myself. Maybe next time I'll be lucky enough to have someone with me.

4 comments:

DBA Dude said...

Maybe you should investigate job opportunities in the area if you liked it that much?

Sezme said...

I was thinking of seeing if I could at least manage staying there for the summer. I don't know that I could live there full-time. It's a little too quiet.

Definitely loving the South, though.

IHeartQuilting said...

I'm glad you had a good time, RT! It looks like a nice town, from the pictures. I would love to live in a place like that, or out in the country, but Grimjack would hate it. He's a city guy.

I hope you can make your summer plans successfully!

Sezme said...

I'm glad, too.

I'm not sure I could live full-time in a place that is kind of in the middle of nowhere.

My summer plans are shaping up quicker than I thought they would. It is something I've wanted to do in a big way for the past four years, because I've been so burned out (and ill). At the same time, it is something I've wanted to do for the past decade or more, too.