Monday, September 03, 2007

IT'S THAT TIME!!!!

Well, y'all. . .I go back to school tomorrow. I have two days of unproductive meetings and speeches and then I meet my kids. As much as the stress of my job gets to be a bit much, and as much as I really hate getting up a 4:00 a.m., I really do love my job. I'm blessed to be in a district where academics are stressed, thus creating a true learning atmosphere. I know that isn't the case in a lot of districts. I need to only look to my south a few miles or across the river to know how lucky I am.

One thing I do have in common with teachers all over the country is that most of us really do care about your children and their development. Yes, there are teachers who see kids as things and don't see the human side. However, most of us do see it and seek to not only educate, but to also encourage growth.


So, for the next ten months, I'll be getting up obnoxiously early, getting home around 7 or 8, and reading about 500-1000 sheets of writing each week.
I have resolved to not bring home work on the weekends and to not bring a bag home with me at night. Those two things are the hardest to do. But, I can't do this job 24/7 anymore. I want to concentrate on my personal life, spiritual life, and my physical well-being. Now, if I can manage to get to bed by 10:00 p.m. every night, then I'd be rockin'! Yeah, that will happen. HA!

9 comments:

Deathlok said...

Academics are Stressed?? We're All Stressed!

DBA Dude said...

So for the next 10 months you will be getting up at 04:00, leaving at 05:00(?) and not returning home until 19/20:00 (:

This is leaving you with zero personal time during the week. Looks like you really need to change your life like you were saying last month.

Decide where you want to live, find a job there that allows you way more personal time and come next June escape to a new life.

Sounds easy but I know that the execution will be tough.

Good luck surviving the next 10 months.

Anonymous said...

Maybe a hot, new male teacher will be working there that has a thing for metal music?? :)

LBJ said...

I hope the first day went well for you and you had a little time to yourself when you got home,

I wish my teachers had been that devoted.

Old NFO said...

Hang in there RT! Knowing that what you are doing is important to the future generation is not a lot of compensation, but you DO need some personal time, so YOU VILL NOT BRING WORK HOME.. DAS IS AN ORDER! :-)

Sezme said...

Deathlok:

HA! Emphasized as the most important activity taking place in our district???? Is that better? Huh, Mr. Funny?

DBA:

Yup. Get up at 4, get to school by 6:45 (I live about an hour from school.), leave between 6:00 and 7:00 in the evening...getting home around 8:00 most nights. There will be nights I'm there longer, though. I advise a year-long student program.

I can't figure out where I want to live. A friend asked me if I could live anywhere, where would it be, but I could only think that I don't want to live in really hot states (come to think of it...states that get a ton of snow, too).

The prospect of leaving is very stressful for me. If I could be impulsive and just "go," then I'd be able to, but giving it thought makes me weary.

DL:

HA! No new hot male teachers. Although, every now and then I hang out with my male teaching buddies (all married, so don't ask) in "man land" and we talk sports, metal, and dirty jokes. See, now if I was skinny, I'd be a catch.

Scully:
I did have a good day and had some time to myself when I got home. I came home around 5:00 and took a nap for an hour. Yummy.

Sezme said...

ONFO:

Yah, Yah. :)

Dionne said...

You are making a difference in so many kids' lives!! I love the pic!!

Sezme said...

I really have a nice bunch of kids this year. I'm glad to be back at work. I think I was getting a little itchy.