Sunday, September 30, 2007

Family

When I was little, my aunts used to take care of me quite often. Usually because my mom was working a lot and my grandmom and I needed a break from each other. I have one aunt, in particular, that kept me overnight a great deal. When I was with her family, I always felt like I was in a family. I never felt that way any other time. She has a husband who absolutely adores her and would no doubt be lost without her. She has children, their spouses, and grandchildren, all of whom, love her very much. I was telling my cousin the other day just how much I always appreciated what my aunt did in allowing me to spend time with her family. That's why the news of her being diagnosed with stage three ovarian cancer has just knocked the legs out from under me.

Please, ladies...for your sake and the sake of your loved ones, keep your appointments with the "ewww yucky" doctor, so that at least things might be caught early if they need to be caught.


I am setting a goal for myself that this time next year I will be as fit as I have ever been (Lord willing). I have found a hospital-based wellness/fitness program that includes a gym, trainer, and dietitian. I could be doing wiser, debt-related things with my money right now, but I need better health. Without it, I'm not going to have the life that I so desire.
A year from now, I want to be able to walk in the next "walk" that raises awareness of ovarian cancer--for my aunt.

4 comments:

IHeartQuilting said...

That's a great goal, RT. Whenever you need some support, just let your blogging friends know, we'll be there for you.

Sezme said...

I'll need it. I've had a lot of death and illness in my family and it just fraks with the mind.

Me? I'll need it for those nights I just want to eat a load of french fries (my downfall).

RobC said...

Right behind you TR! I must say with my physio and the crutches I think I am fitter than a year ago, just cant do that walk stuff well yet... two more weeks hopefully. :-)

Sezme said...

It can be frustrating when what you want to do is not quite yet a reality, eh? Things will get better.