Friday, September 28, 2007

A HUG

I was just reading a story about a school that has banned hugs. Now, granted, the hugs were banned because of hallway congestion, but why entirely ban them? I don't see much in the way of kids kissing (thank God!) in my school, but I do see a lot of hugs. Hugging is therapeutic. I often have students that don't see their parents much because of the hectic teenage schedule in conflict with the equally busy schedule of the parents. I also see a lot of kids who are starved for attention and affection. A classmate's hug might be the only affection some of my students ever get. Think about it. I dare say a few of us who read this post, me included, came from homes where affection was somewhat unheard of. I know what it is like for a parent to reject a hug or not be affectionate.

I also remember when high school was a place where I saw a couple of friends (was a complete outcast, but had one really good friend) and received hugs quite often. It was a mutual need for affection that was not sexual in nature. We hugged in the hallways, in the smoking section, and when we were out and about....even in my car (nothing bad came from it).

Simply, these kids really do need affection and that is why they turn to things to cope and feel good. Hugs should be the least of our worries.

There are times that I'm really jealous of my students. They can just walk up to someone they know and get a hug. It is the one time in life that hugs and affection among friends is so easy and effortless. I even had a girl rest her head on the shoulder of the guy next to her, today. She wasn' meaning anything tawdry by it; she just wanted affection.

I think of all the things lacking in my life, what I miss most is affection and to be hugged. I really do think that its purpose is to help restore people and provide well-being.

There just isn't enough of it these days.

9 comments:

IHeartQuilting said...

I agree with you. I remember seeing my girls with their friends in high school, and was so happy that they were all so open with their affections for each other. My father was not very demonstrative when we were young, so I wasn't real huggy myself until I became an adult. Now my friends and I all hug whenever we see each other. It is very therapeutic and makes you feel connected to someone.

Sezme said...

Hugs and laughter = the best medicine in the world. :)

USA_Admiral said...

They want to teach Sex Ed.
They want to ban hugging?
What could be next?

Jeffro said...

Ruling for the lowest common denominator is killing individualism.

rt: I'm sending you one king sized bear hug through the intertubes. I'm sorry it's the best I can do.

Sezme said...

Admiral:
Trust me, you do not want to know what I overhear about kids' lives. I've had to go to guidance counselors, administrators, and the nurse on numerous occasions.

Jeffro:
:)

DBA Dude said...

Just to remind you that not everywhere on the globe is paranoid about hugging - the Free Hugs video.

Sezme said...

DBA:
It was nice to see people get over themselves and let their guard down. I think that is a hard thing for all of us to do. I know it is for me. I wonder how many of those people (especially the older ones) have no one and had that experience make their days?

Deathlok said...

jeffro, watch the hands. . .

I generally hate people and I still shill out the occasional hug.

"Mom, I got detention for hugging someone. . ."

Daft!

Sezme said...

See...everyone needs and gives hugs!