Saturday, September 22, 2007

Family

I have been thinking a lot about my childhood lately. It wasn't a very pleasant one. However, growing up under less than ideal circumstances and experiences can create unique coping skills. My way of coping was through my imagination and creativity. When my grandmom wouldn't let me watch t.v. or go outside to play, I'd escape to the basement and teach myself how to use a hammer and try to emulate my grandfather and build things. When I was allowed outside, I'd go into the back yard and pretend my dog was a show dog in the circus or pretend I was the greatest golfer ever with a stick and a ball. I'd teach myself gymnastics. I'd read books about dancing and copy what they were able to do. I'd treat our garden to some pruning and edging, because that's what I'd seen our neighbor do.

There were other times when I spent a lot of time with my other grandmother, too. Going to see her was a different kind of escape. Even though as I grew into an adult she always had something to say about appearances (Victorian as she was raised), I always knew she loved me. We'd sit on her couch, in the same spots for hours on end, my entire life. She'd tell me stories about Scotland that she'd heard from her family. She'd tell me about her Grandfather Palmer and his sporting goods store in Stirling. She'd talk about the "family home" that had a secret tunnel and when they were putting heat into the house, bones were found in that tunnel. She'd talk about the clans I am a part of and how we have a family plot at Holyrood. I learned that I am a descendant of lawyers, actors, musicians, teachers, and some philanderers and not-so-nice people.

I heard stories about my great-grandfather and my great-uncle serving in the Black Watch. I heard about my great-grandfather being one of a scant few that survived a mustard gas attack (think it was mustard gas). We had a family member that worked in South Africa for the British government. He was working on chemical warfare agents. He had an "accident" and died.

As an adult, I've learned that those times were probably an escape for my grandmother. About a year before she died in December, she told me about the abuse that she suffered at the hands of her father, while in a drunken rage and at the hands of my grandfather throughout their marriage. I never pressed for anything, but it did leave me with some questions about my family, and for as well as I knew my grandmom, I didn't know her.

I think that's why the past couple of weeks have been sad for me. Her estate has been settled and there's been paperwork. The last of it came via mail this week. It's like that's all that's left of her and so final. My family is shrinking. All I have left are my mom and dad. My mom's side really has nothing to do with us and my dad's side are all busy hating each other. I've never felt this kind of grief.

The past couple of weeks my cousin and I have been in touch, as we've been experiencing very similar feelings. Today, I received an email from her. She's not in touch with the "hating" side of the family and so we've kind been able to "talk." She expressed that she'd like to write down all of grandmom's stories and plan a trip with her daughter (who looks exactly like my grandmom) to Scotland. She asked if I'd like to go, too. We'd be going for my grandmom. She never got to go back like she wanted. The nicest thing about the email, though, was that my cousin said to always remember "that I have family out West." I've never had someone from my family say that to me. I've always felt like the one who never had any connections, except to my grandmom. I've actually prayed in the past to be a part of a family, as I've never really experienced what family really is.

So, maybe out of all this grief, some good will come.

14 comments:

DBA Dude said...

Wow, that was making me feel sort of depressed until I got to the end.

I would say that if you can make it, then go with them to Scotland.

Who knows, at the end of it all it might even give you a reason to uproot from NJ amd move out West?

Sezme said...

The trip won't be for a couple of years, but I think I really do want to go. It has been on my mind a lot lately. I've always wanted to go to Scotland, but the past few months I've felt like I have to go. I don't have children to pass down the stories to or to instill any sense of our family history (good or bad), but my cousin does and the trip is for her to learn her heritage and to touch the same land as our family did long before us. My cousin and I seem to be very much alike and are both wanting a sense of family.

After trying to plan to move somewhere, I've decided that I should just stay put until I'm absolutely sure of where I should go. I just don't want to go anywhere really hot and dusty. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'd LOVE to go to Scotland! Go for it! Then come back and tell us all about it.
I'm glad your family and yourself are rediscovering each other. I'm sure that your Grandmother would be very happy about this.

Sezme said...

I think she would, too.

LBJ said...

Go. . I miss Scotland and hope to go back again, though all my relatives there are long, long gone.

One of the best trips I had was with a girlfriend to England and Ireland and Scotland, just the two of us. No guys, no worries. We didn't watch what we ate, we drank lots of beer and we had the BEST time.

Sezme said...

The trip is definitely on my "to do" list. If I go with my cousin, it will be just for the girls.

Jeffro said...

Glad you found some good in your grief.

Your post got me to thinking about my grandparents. I just knew them through the eyes of a child. Definitely a different perspective.

Sezme said...

I had one grandfather die when I was six. My other grandfather died while I was in my 20's and my grandmothers died within a year of each other ('05/'06). The older you are, the harder it is.

I think this has been the hardest because I was really close to my grandmom and because she was my last grandparent.

I feel like a bit of a drama queen about all of this, but I've just been sad and all of the final things surrounding her life are really hard.

IHeartQuilting said...

I never knew my maternal Grandfather, he committed suicide long before I was born. When my maternal grandmother died, it was very hard. I was in my mid 20's and was pregnant with my second child. It was in December, and she died on her 81st birthday. I remember being at the cemetary, and crying and telling my Mom that we couldn't leave her there, it was too cold. I know, it was irrational. Her's was the first passing of someone that close to me.

I was pretty young when my Dad's father died, so I only have scattered memories of him. I remember the smell of his pipe and leather chair, and that he played checkers with us. I never really knew my paternal grandmother, she spent most of her life in a home due to a nervous breakdown. They didn't know how to treat them back then I guess, so she spent the rest of her life there.

My kids were fortunate enough to have great grandparents on their dad's side until a few years ago. Their passing was very hard on them, as was my dad's 5 years ago.

Go to Scotland if you can, connect with your new found family. But even if you can't get there, I hope that you will be able to at least visit West (wait until the winter so it's not hot and dusty!) Good luck!

Sezme said...

When you mentioned the pipe it reminded me of the grandpop I lost way too young in my life. We'd come home from church and he'd always be asleep on the couch with his pipe hanging out of his mouth and he'd still be holding the newspaper. I think he literally worked himself to death. There used to be a pipe and tobacco shop in our local mall when I was a kid. I used to love going in there (to buy my cigarettes) just to smell the pipe tobacco. My grandmom kept his tobacco pouch and her bedroom smelled of it.

I'd like to go to Scotland. I think I'd like to take the ship back, though. That's how my great-grandparents came over from Scotland. Expensive, but a neat perspective. My cousin doesn't live in the dry, dusty part of the West. She lives in the rainy, green part. :) Hopefully, she'll come here for a visit. I know she wants to visit the grave.

I had the same thoughts of not wanting to leave my grandmom. Instead, I just went and sat in my car and cried. I didn't get to ride with my dad.

I've had my fill of family members dying. Since 1992, I've lost three uncles (one suicide), all three remaining grandparents, a great-grandmother, two great-uncles, two great-aunts, and six of those deaths have been within the last three years.

IHeartQuilting said...

That is a lot to bear, for anyone. Keep your chin up, and I'm hoping for happier times for you.

Sezme said...

Thank you.

Dionne said...

What a neat encounter with your cousin!! I would looooooove to go to Scotland. Its high on my list of places to go.

Sezme said...

Yep. It would be nice to get to know her.