Monday, September 10, 2007

9-11

I remember driving to work and thinking to myself what a beautiful day it was. I remember thinking of a man I loved very much dealing with personal grief and his father's funeral. I wanted to be there, but couldn't because of work. It was the first full week of school.

I remember the announcement made by our school's principal. I couldn't process the information.


I remember hearing the next announcement about the Pentagon.

I remember between classes a multitude of us outside of the school trying to use our cell phones. I tried to call the man I loved very much, I wanted to know if he was being "called up," because he was in the reserves. I remember his dad's funeral didn't happen. I remember being scared and sad: for him, for me, for the country. I remember seeing many students in hysterics. Many of their parents were stuck in New York. Residents died, residents escaped with their lives, colleagues in other schools lost family members.
I remember feeling really angry and really confused.

I remember hearing about Pennsylvania.



I remember the next day and the resulting symbolism rising from the ashes.





I'll never forget.










Almost every day, I remember.


7 comments:

USA_Admiral said...

Wonderfully put!

IHeartQuilting said...

I think everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing on that September 11th. I was home sick from work and watched the horrible drama unfold live on the Today show. Thanks for sharing.

Sezme said...

USA Admiral:
Thank you.

Mrs. Grim:
I think we all need to hold onto our memories and we need to remember the events of that day as they impacted us. The media wants to tell us how to relive it. The politicians want to use it to further their careers. The media and the politicians are making me sick. I'd rather remember the humanity lost and expressed.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

I remember my snarkastic cop humor kicking in:

"Hey, the Towers are falling down! AWESOME!"

What can I say? It's how we deal.

Sezme said...

Ummmm....co-workers from other schools had a son and an uncle die in those towers.

One of our students' grandpop was one of the higher ups in the NYFD killed in those towers.

One of my students had her neighbor die in those towers.

I know you have to deal with the "dark" humor, but I think of sitting behind one of those teachers during a meeting the following September and seeing her bracelet with her son's name on it.

(Don't worry...not angry, just I don't deal with the darker side of life everyday and don't have the self-preservation via dark humor that you all really do need to havel.)

CW said...

Six years ago today, I watched several friends die. Some were casual friends from college and grad school. Some were family friends. Two were in my wedding party.

Six years ago today, my wife and I were sudden babysitters of several children whose parents could not get out of their Manhattan workplaces.

Six years ago today, my mother - a survivor of the London airblitz - explained to my panicky wife that everyone has to develop "an everyday sort of courage."

Six years ago today, my world changed. I changed. I developed an everyday sort of courage and a quiet anger. And I'm still angry.

CW

Dionne said...

Beautiful post!! Everyone remembers the details of that day, we will never forget. I remember my Mom telling me about the day JFK was assassinated and its the same for us.