Sunday, April 20, 2008

The power of prayer

Every now and then I head over to a website called Christianity Today. Sometimes I like to read the articles about the different musicians they interview/cover. While I scanned the first page of the site, I happened to notice a really interesting article about Eric Clapton and how he has perceived God throughout his life.

The part that caught my attention was his own description of learning to come to God in prayer when he reached his lowest point in 1987:


"I was in complete despair," Clapton wrote. "In the privacy of my room, I begged for help. I had no notion who I thought I was talking to, I just knew that I had come to the end of my tether … and, getting down on my knees, I surrendered. Within a few days I realized that … I had found a place to turn to, a place I'd always known was there but never really wanted, or needed, to believe in. From that day until this, I have never failed to pray in the morning, on my knees, asking for help, and at night, to express gratitude for my life and, most of all, for my sobriety. I choose to kneel because I feel I need to humble myself when I pray, and with my ego, this is the most I can do. If you are asking why I do all this, I will tell you … because it works, as simple as that."

I have to honest. Once in a while I do get on my knees. I haven't done so in about a year. It was the first time in a few years that I was able to because of my leg issues. The past few days, the things I vividly remember praying about a year ago have been weighing mightily on my heart and mind. I've had thoughts of getting back down on my knees to pray, but I haven't. I think maybe I should.

There is a song that talks of the power of getting on ones knees to pray. It is an act of humility. It is also an act that tells God you know He is the one in control. It is also a time to thank Him for all of the blessings he has given.

So, I am thankful: for my health (it could be worse, but God chooses not to allow it--and I'm trusting Him to continue that blessing), for the people placed in my life, and most importantly for God not giving up on me.

Yep...I'll be getting on my knees, now. Time to talk to God about those things that brought me to my knees last year. . . and so much more.


(H/T: Christianity Today)

No comments: