Friday, August 31, 2007

Random stuff and shopping with RT.

At the end of each summer, if I have a few dollars left over from what I so carefully pecked away at all summer, I go shopping for some things I need. So today I went to Target. It was an eclectic day: bedding, pillows, chocolate, popcorn (gonna watch a movie tonight), nightie, a watch (keep breaking them), and some cosmetics stuff. I noticed a few things, as I am an observant person. Parents tune out their kids a lot, don't they? There was one cutie with his mom. He was looking at the lunch bags and apparently the one he was looking at had an iPod holder/case thingy. I kid you not, he looked like Waldo without the greased up hair and his mom really looked like Waldo's mom. His voice had an Alfalfa-like quality to it and I was waiting for him to break into song to Darla (lucky little girl). "Mom, isn't this cool? I mean it's got an iPod holder; if I had an iPod, I could put it in this iPod holder. Mom? Isn't this cool? I could have my lunch and listen to the iPod at the same time." I love to watch kids try to manipulate their parents. Kids always think they know what they need when they need it...much like us with God. Remember how frustrated we'd get when our parents said "no" or worse: WAIT? Ugh, I hate that word. Sometimes things are worth the wait, though. I hope that kid gets his iPod and the really cool lunch bag with the iPod holder. I'm sure he'll be appreciative. Seeing others get what they have waited for always gives me encouragement.

The other random stuff? Heh. The Phillies are sucking me in! They have me by the heart and they are sucking me in, and I'm waiting for yet another broken heart. But like any other dreamer...maybe they won't break my heart this time.

I remember during the 1993 World Series, I was driving around Northeast Philly (Tyson Ave./Princeton Ave. area, Wyatt and Cap'n.), with my sunroof open, listening to the game. My stomach in knots just hoping and wishing, but secretly knowing that they'd break my heart. They always do. Then the pitch: Out of the park and Phillies' season was over. I said a few colorful words. There was a dull pain all over Philly for a few days and then I remembered, there are always the Flyers and the Eagles, and the cycle will repeat itself, and it has. They are human, given to winning and defeat. They will get our hopes up (and their hopes), and we will eat Tums the entire ride. I'm enjoying this Phillies team. I watch a lot of the games, especially the lovely SWEEP of the Mets. But I think the classiest play all year showed them as decent human beings.

And since I'm such a weak, easily influenced person, I bought some Guinness to try for the first time. Hey, it got a smile at me from a guy who walked up into line behind me. At least I think it was the draught.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Ah yes... manipulation... I think kids imbibe it with their Mother's milk! It is funny/sad to watch sometimes. The ones I feel sorry for are the parents who obviously don't have alot of money and are trying desparately to get enough to get the kids by.

On baseball- I'm still pissed about the 94 strike! I've watched one game since then- When Ripkin broke the record. I don't even allow baseball on the TV in my house. Since I live by myself, I don't get too many arguments :-)

If you want 'real' beer, get some Porter 6X Stout! That stuff will put hair on your chest!!! More like molasses than beer. Or just go straight to the Scotch like I do :-)

Sezme said...

I grew up really poor, so I learned very early on not to ask for anything. I would have given anything to have piano or guitar lessons, though.

I don't remember 1994 on, post concussion syndrome. I have memory problems that make me look airheaded at times, but oh well. I forgive easily. It's a trait I have.

I'm sipping my first Guinness. It's good. A little different. I'm trying to figure out what's behind the taste. I'm weird like that. I've never had scotch. I like vodka, though.

Captain America said...

Don't buy into the Phillies. Whats wrong with you. You know better by now!

Sezme said...

I can't help it. They lure me back and BAM--they just break my heart, again.

I'm worse with the Flyers. (Except for last year. I stopped watching their games.)