Friday, August 24, 2007

A matter of faith

The media is making much of Mother Teresa's perceived lack of faith. They quote her questioning her faith in letters:
"Where is my faith? Even deep down there is nothing but emptiness and darkness. If there be a God--please forgive me."
Her struggles led her to fear that she would be a hypocrite.
I have heard stories of missionaries and ministers who dedicate themselves to work hard and do as they feel called, only to never experience the "fruit" or results that they had hoped for as an idealistic servant of God. But, I have also heard stories of the seeds sown by them becoming the fruit of long-held faith once those missionaries had passed or retired. It happens. Sometimes we never see the fruit of our labor.

Throughout the past three years I've been in a tug of war of sorts within the faith I have in God. I deeply believe that He is real and that He guides my steps. I've prayed for months for a friend and I am seeing those prayers answered in what appears to be the positive for him. However, my mom continues to be out of work for almost three years, I still have things that I pray for myself that seem to not get answered. But...I know I have to continue to believe. I've seen too much and have had prayers that were
unlikely to be answered, answered. We have to look at the everyday and minute things as well as the big things.

I think people are focusing on the wrong thing with what Mother Teresa's letters revealed. She was a human being. While wise and devoted to her calling, she had times of weariness. She saw much despair and had to be impacted by it. She did what we all do; we question. If we didn't question, then we wouldn't need God. We'd have no need for faith. That's what I think her letters reveal.


I struggle all the time. Sometimes I think God has me in this never ending holding pattern. I get really frustrated, as y'all saw this week. However, I know what I pray for and how I see God putting things in my life, heart, and prayers to keep me going. That's why I share my answered prayers with you all. He's real. His timing is not our timing (grrrr), but it is so His will is done, not ours. It is so He can receive the glory and honor...not us.
I look forward to sharing many more answered prayers.


Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

8 comments:

Old NFO said...

RT, I will say the same thing I said to Babs...
We have to deal with life day to day. To me that includes dealing with our faith day to day also. We live imperfect lives in an imperfect world... We can only do the best we can with whatever help we can get each day. Sometimes a smile or a pat on the back, or even a little private time makes a difference as to how we get through the rest of the day. And you are SO right... His timing is NOT ours.

Hang in there!

rachel said...

I would think that the fact that her faith was tested, and yet she came back to it speaks even more than the test itself.

Even Jesus was tested...

But she didn't give up, and that should be the only thing that comes out of this story.

Or yours.

Sezme said...

ONFO & Rachel:
Having faith and trying to allow God to do things when I've thought "it's time" or when I want to take matters into my own hands is one of the hardest things I've had to do.

I'm not good and the "Be still and know that I am God" thing. I'm impulsive and lack patience. However, if something is worth waiting on God for, then it is better than anything I could do in my own feeble human efforts.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Even Jesus was tested...

Yeah, but it was a math test and he kicked ass at math! Naturally, he aced it.

Sezme said...

Again, Wyatt, I am not standing next to you during the next storm involving flying bolts of electricity.

LBJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LBJ said...

right comment, wrong post.

I too wrote about Faith this morning early. Didn't realize until re-reading yours that we both posted the same verse.

Good one.

Sezme said...

Great minds, Scully... :)