Monday, August 27, 2007

Not the mommy!

I had a true light bulb moment during my weekly lunch with pops. First, you need to know that I was already upset that I'd overslept and missed church. Now, if we combine the utter desire and need for me to go to church and not going, my mom still not getting a job, and the lunch I'm about to illustrate, you might get an idea of why I'm so contemplative lately.

Dad: How was church?
Me: Didn't make it.
Dad: Is it because of how they want you to do things?
Me: No. Couldn't sleep.
Dad: Nerves?
Me: Yep. (I think that is our code word for don't wanna talk about it, but things are on my mind.)
Dad: Well, you work through it in your way, right?
Me: [In my head] No friggin' choice, do I? (Well, I'm tired.)

During lunch we had a waiter that could barely understand English, let alone speak it. He was also new, which meant he did not know the menu. And my mom can't find a job. And this is all I can think about. Tears well up.

So my dad gets his usual fish dish. He nearly chokes about five times, because of bones. He complains to two of the wait staff and the hostess. He asks me if fish is supposed to have bones. I answer, "You didn't order a fillet." Does he carefully eat his fish? No. He shoves in huge pieces and then complains that he keeps finding bones. I had to tell him to be a little more careful, so that he could pick out the bones. Then it hit me as I looked around the diner. This is my life. It is an endless dance of don't hurt my mom's feelings because she'll shut down, and gingerly deal with my dad because of his cognitive issues. Don't try to convince him that contractors don't just come out to the house to install a door and don't burst his bubble when he says that they'll come out to the house when they say they will. Different week, same conversations--over and over and over again.

I told my mom a couple of months ago that she has until June to get her act together. However, having to get a new car means...get your act together sooner. I told her I wanted to move out and have a life. She said, "You can't leave me."

Yet, I'm an only child. Do I just leave them? I've been struggling with that question for a few months. Well, really more than a few months. I haven't had to really make the decision to leave because I haven't had real opportunity, yet. So, I could always put off the thought or make excuses.

Then I'm sitting there today with my dad. I'm wondering, "Is this my life?" It's not like I can divorce my parents and leave them in my memories. I also love my parents and don't want to hurt them.

I took the very long way home and then took my mom out for a little while because I just couldn't bear the thought of going into that apartment. I didn't want to go home.

Then when I finally got home and finally forced myself to go up the stairs into the apartment I thought, "This doesn't have to be my life. Maybe if I actively do something rather than waiting for my mom or dad to actually be, well, adults and parental, I can have a life."

So, most of the night I've been vacillating about whether or not to yet again, whine. But, there is a point to my whining. I'm going to do something with my life. I've decided that in June I will leave NJ. I don't know where I'll go, but I need to leave.

I feel like I am abandoning my parents and from a Biblical view, I really, really feel like that is what I'm doing. However, it also says that parents aren't to exasperate their kids. I think it is time we all grew up. Chances are they will follow me wherever I go, but isn't that the point? I should be out getting my life, now and they can catch up with me.

I can't be sitting in the same diner, just another Sunday. I can't be pleading with my mom to go out and look for a job.

A year from now I want them to see me have a life and to actually be really living.

10 comments:

LBJ said...

The Bible says Honour your Father and Mother. It does not say you are responsible for making sure that outcomes of actions of theirs result in their personal happiness.

Honor means to show respect. To esteem. I honor my Dad and Stepmom with courtesy, with kindness. Like they did for me. If they make mistakes they fix them, if they fail I'll offer an ear and my time to listen but I won't right the world for them. They treat me the same way.

Sometimes when I was going through life changes I made mistakes, I fell on my ass. They hugged me, told me they loved me, then sent me home to deal with it as an adult. They didn't pull out the checkbook or let me move home. Tough love, perhaps, but honest valid love, and soon I thought harder before I made choices, in jobs or relationships and I had less of a need for someone to "fix" it for me, as I learned I could stand on my own. That is respect, in our book.

Anonymous said...

It's really not that easy, RT.

“The church should care for any widow who has no one else to care for her. But if she has children or grandchildren, their first responsibility is to show godliness at home and repay their parents by taking care of them. This is something that pleases God very much....But those who won't care for their own relatives, especially those living in the same household, have denied what we believe. Such people are worse than unbelievers” (1 Timothy 5:3-4, 8).

Soon, I will be in the same boat. My parents are getting up there in years and my mother has a heart condition that does not allow her to work. Ever. If my dad dies first, it's my responsibility as her son to take care of her.

But it doesn't mean you have to live with them in order to make sure they are taken care of. As long as they are receiving the care they need, that's what matters. Instead of the weekly lunch, make it a weekly visit to the house to make sure they are still doing okay. Or something along those lines.

Just make sure that the reasons you want to leave aren't selfish ones that completely overlook others' needs.

Mostly, just pray. And pray some more. Then pray again and again and again until God's given you peace on whatever decision you make.

My $0.02.

Anonymous said...

This doesn't have to be my life. Maybe if I actively do something rather than waiting for my mom or dad to actually be, well, adults and parental, I can have a life."

I think you nailed it in the above quote. As a parent, I would love to see my kids happy when they grow up, even if it means that they have to leave me behind.

Old NFO said...

RT, I agree with both the above posts... Faith can help you get through tough times. My mother lived with us the last two years of her life. Many times it got a little touchy, because she still thought of me as a 12 year old, and I would not put up with that. For all that, at least I had to chance to provide for her and at least return a little bit of the support she had given me. I could not bear the thought of her in a home, nor would she have gone... Her sister continued to live alone after her husband died. She survived 4 heart attacks, and a broken hip (laying in the floor for probably 2 days before she was found). She went to a Nursing home and died 4 months later.

We (the collective) can't TELL you what to do, we can only offer advice and support in what ever decision you decide.

Remember, you are the one you have to please- no one else...

Sezme said...

Von:
Thanks. I think being raised by someone that believes in the "you owe me" attitude, I get really stressed and wonder if she really wants me to have a life. My dad would support anything I do, but he's the one I worry about because of his cognitive problems, yet, he's the independent one (I'm like him and my mom hates it.).

I just don't want them to suffer in anyway because I'm off being selfish somewhere.

Sezme said...

ONFO:
I think I'm trying to tell myself what to do more than anything else. Back to that raising myself thing. I received little or no guidance from my parents. I think that is why I have a hard time making decisions. I've made so many bad ones in the process of raising myself that I just question everything I do, now.

While I need to be happy and pleased with myself, I need to please God, too.

Anonymous said...

RT, if you don't get out and reclaim some of your life, when your parents are gone you're going to be totally lost.
Make sure they're cared for and have what they need, but get out there and rediscover yourself and reclaim your life.
That way when they are gone, you can look back without bitterness, or regret.

Sezme said...

DL:
That's what I'm afraid of. I hate bitterness and don't want any parts of it.

I am an only child and at some point they will be gone. I don't want to be sitting by myself in that diner some Sunday looking around wondering where my life went.

Dionne said...

I'm extremely proud of you. I think you are exactly right and I praise you for the courage you are displaying.

I think sometimes we have to show tough love to our loved ones and have healthy boundaries for their sake and ours. If you continue the way you are no one is happy but if you get out and live your life you will be happy and its your parents' choice on whether they want to be or not. But you will at least be giving them a shot at it. Your mom will feel so much better if she is taking charge of her life also.

I know all of this is hard and I will pray for you but I think it sounds like you are on the right path. I'm proud of you!!

Sezme said...

Thank you, Dee. I need a lot of prayer right now.