Monday, August 06, 2007

BLOODY UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Happy birthday, Bruce Dickinson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! August 7th, 49 years ago, Bruce Dickinson came screaming into the world with a very healthy set of lungs and an appetite for risks and thrills. He is probably one of the best voices in metal. Given the complexities of the songs his mates throw at him, he'd have to be. Dragon Lady did the honor of providing many photos of Bruce. I want to focus on his voice. My friends Karen and Birdman and I spent countless hours beside a boombox trying to sing Iron Maiden. I can still remember Bird poking my tummy saying, "Diaphram; use your diaphram." My friend Karen could sing Bruce the best, though.

Now, not to be outdone by Drags, I offer these two photos of Bruce. While the long hair is nice, doesn't he look hot in those leather pants?

Bruce, I must admit, does look really hot with short hair. I'd take him either way. As much as I like long hair, sometimes it is best that it gets chopped off. In Bruce's case, it is a definite improvement.

But I digress, on to the music. I chose three songs. The first song, "Wasting Love," is a ballad of sorts. It has a great message. Bruce is looking really hot, though.

The second song, "Run to the Hills," is probably one of the hardest songs to sing and it includes Bruce's "scream." (HA! "Scream for me, Philly!")

The third song, "Hallowed Be Thy Name," is one of my favorites and really shows how hard singing an Iron Maiden song can be.

My first concert was Iron Maiden and Twisted Sister. I was 16. I managed to be up front in a general admission audience. My feet didn't touch the floor for a little while, as the crowd swayed back and forth. My best memory was when my friend Bird happened to run into me. However, he came up to me from behind and grabbed my shoulder. He almost got clocked. But we were both so excited to see Maiden. For all the "substances" I ever did, I never went to a concert in an altered state (well, except for the Firm, but that was a date and well...). Even today, when I go to a live show I watch what the musicians are doing (not just listening). I watch what the lighting and sound people do. I pay attention to the entire thing, soaking it up. I actually get kind of moved by the entire thing and have been known to have tears come to my eyes. Not because I'm crazy over the moon about the musicians, but because of what they put into the whole thing. Musicians put in a lot of emotional energy and all of their hopes into their music. To see it all come together for them as it does, especially on the grander scale, is very moving. See, bet you just go to the concert to hear the songs. I don't.

So here's some cake for Bruce! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

^Up the Irons^!
Even though Maiden has had other singers in the past, I always view Dickinson as their voice. He may only be 5'6'' but his voice is so big and his persona so larger than life, you don't notice it.

Sezme said...

I've only noticed how big his voice is and huge his thighs are (from fencing). HA!

Sezme said...

By huge I mean muscular.

Anonymous said...

:) Sculpted, chiseled...yeeep