Monday, January 29, 2007

Do you remember your first?


Do you remember your first concert? Mine occured Jan. 29, 1985 at the Philadelphia Spectrum. There I was a mere 16 years old, standing at the front of the line. The one cool thing my mom ever did? She got me out of school early to get to the concert. It was a general admission concert which meant, get to the front and you were assured of "front row" status. I ended up about third row distance and my feet were not touching the ground. The crowd swayed to the left and to the right. I was little freaked out since the tragedy at The Who concert was prancing through my mind. It also didn't help that the guy I went with decided to tell some freak on massive quantities of some substance and ready to foam at the mouth that I wanted him real bad. Ugh. So then he started doing what creepy guys do at concerts and I said the magic words to get out of there, "I'm gonna puke!" It was like the Red Sea parting for Moses. I stayed within third row distance, but I moved to the side a little which worked out great. I could breathe, my feet were touching the ground, and creepy-guy was out of reach of me...well he was trying to touch me. Ewwwwwww! Twisted Sister opened up for Maiden. It was an awesome concert and in the end, I wound up hooking up with my best friend and we got to see the encore together and jam. I miss him sometimes. Anyway, after my "trying" experience, he spotted me just before the encore and grabbed my shoulder. Let's just say he had to duck an elbow as I turned around...I know how to take care of myself. He was lucky I had quick reflexes. His beautiful face was spared my wrath. So... here is a song from that evening. Enjoy the bit of history and adventure.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first big concert that I claim going to was Styx (Grand Illusion tour), the first big concert that I don't claim is the Bay City Rollers. heh

Sezme said...

My next concert was Slayer and Megadeth. I saw Bon Jovi, once. Once. Got kicked out anyway.

Captain America said...

I KNOW I was at that show. I'm not sure what my first concert was but it could have Bon Jovi / Scorpions...
I saw Thisted Sister Twice. I think they opened up for DIO? next. I know I was at Van Halen 1984. Things get a little blurry before that though. :)

Sezme said...

Accept opened up for Dio (front row!). Metallica opened up for Ozzy (w/Cliff Burton). I saw Twisted Sister twice, too. They are pretty entertaining. Wow! I even saw Motley Crue with Loudness (ha! Roudness). My friend jumped on the stage and got Vince Neil into a pretty tight grip! WOW...too many flashbacks. There are more, though.

Hmm...were you the drunk guy that jumped off the concourse level (outside) to the ticket window area underneath?

1-2-3-4 open up the f-n' door, 5-6-7-8...open up the f-n' gate! Oh, sorry...flashbacks.