Saturday, January 13, 2007

BRIEF FUNNY

I had two students finished with a test and nothing to do. Knowing they were capable of disrupting the class if not occupied, I allowed them to play hangman. The young man placed blanks on the board for two words and the gallows. The young lady guessed a few letters, so I turned around to see the progress. It was the name Saddam Hussein. Get it? The kid thought, "Hmm. We're playing hangman, so what would be better than Saddam?" Well, I thought it was funny and quick witted of him.

6 comments:

rachel said...

He gets extra points for being aware of the world around him and for snark.

Sezme said...

He's a really smart kid, but wants no part of a work ethic. I keep trying to encourage him, but you can lead a horse...

Dionne said...

Awesome, I totally love it and am very impressed. The quick wit of their teacher is wearing off on them ;-)!!

Sezme said...

He picked up a globe one day and asked for a fast fact for each place he came to when it stopped spinning. He couldn't stump me, but he knew a lot of information, too. He's a smart kid. (I was lucky he didn't stop on some island nation I never heard of.) I wish some ambition would wear off on him.

Anonymous said...

My God, he sounds like my daughter Tess! lol
My husband is convinced she's a genius and gets upset at her mediocre grades. The thing is if she's not interested in something she doesn't care. ::sigh:: We keep trying to tell her that in the real world there are things you have to do even though you're not the slightest bit interested.

Sezme said...

Did we want to listen to that wisdom when we were their age? NOPE!

I worry about this young man. He has a similar family situation and lack of parental involvement, except to say he's a loser (which he is not).

I think the things I say do get through, but he's not letting on. I see appreciation in his expression, so I know it is getting in his skull. I had one teacher tell me I should go to college. That has stayed with me since I was 17.