Friday, June 13, 2008

How very sad

As most (if not all) of you know, Tim Russert passed away very suddenly today. I watched him from time to time and what I really appreciated were the interviews he did when he wrote Big Russ & Me. It gave insight to how decent of a man he was, because he was raised by someone equally, if not more, decent.

Below is a fitting tribute to that spirit of decency. One thing strikes me about this, though. Tom Brokaw mentions that quite often Russert worked to exhaustion. Folks, our jobs are sometimes our passions, but we should never put our health second to a job, no matter how big, fun, and important it is.





Remember to say a prayer for his family and friends.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are a few things that strike me here. First is that I too will miss his interviews.

Second, and most important, is the loss to his family. I can only imagine that, while they will never completely recover from the loss,having gone on Friday the 13th will somehow make sadder.

Lastly(and very selfishly)is there anyone left who will even try to be objective when hosting Meet the Press?

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Everyone should take me view - be a bum at work. Heh.

Damned shame. He was a liberal, but he was fair.

Sezme said...

The three things I've heard over and over in all of the coverage have been his love for his family, his fairness (despite his strongly held political convictions--something which few journalists do these days), and the belief that he was one-of-kind that will never truly be replaced. He definitely was an icon.

I remember the first time I heard him interviewed for his book. He just seemed like a really genuine guy who knew hard work meant success and that his family and faith were key to it all.

Anonymous said...

It is a tragedy. He is only 4 yrs older than I am. You can not let your job destroy your health. No matter how much you love it.

Sezme said...

Fuzzys Dad
I have been learning that lesson the past few years. I'm getting better at leaving my work at work, but I'm still staying there way too late.