Sunday, June 24, 2007

What it takes


I learned a few things and was reminded of a few things yesterday while I was taking part in my friend's wedding festivities.

There is something different about a wedding when two believers are involved. I've been to about nine or so family weddings. There was something missing from their weddings that was quite present at "D's" wedding--God.

I know, as a believer, the importance of marrying a believer; in fact, it is pretty much a directive in the Bible that it has to be done. I've vacillated on that one over the years. But I finally had a light bulb moment yesterday. It is not just that the "other" person in the relationship is a believer, it is that both people simply put God front and center of that relationship as a result of God being front and center in their lives apart from each other.

The minister said a few things that resonated with me: 1. We can never love or be loved more than God loves us or the other person, but we have to strive to love the other person as God would love that person; 2. Pray together--out loud, in front of God; and 3. Honor what that ring represents. I know I joke about wanting to elope if someone ever loves me enough to marry me. It has more to do with what that moment represents and it was talked about yesterday. Yeah, the food at the reception will be great (and it was) and it will be fun to dance around and act silly (and it was) and it was wonderful seeing my best friend look radiant and beautiful and her husband looking quite handsome, but most important are those promises they made to God and each other, in front of God. So many people ignore those vows and take them lightly because they just wanted the party. It's like saying the vows have become a mere formality.

Those of you that have been lucky to have married great people...own it and be thankful. Remember to show them that you love them. Sssssteve has an awesome example of a good marriage. Go read about it. (You'll have to scroll down a little.)

Now, unless I ever get married, I'm done talking about weddings. The end.

P.S. Look at the way "D's" husband looks at her. WOW! I can't even imagine what it would be like to be loved that much. That look on his face was non-stop all day.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why my marriage fell apart. I was willing, but she wanted to sow her wild oats. I tried to get her to put God first over self but she was a very selfish person. Still is. Which is very hard on our daughter, who gets a lot of attention, support, teaching, and love from her daddy. And a mom who loves her but puts herself above her daughter, I won't bore you with the details. But God, if put first, strengthens to relationship better than anything else. If you both love God he will give you that love for each other.

Sezme said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Sadly, there are Christian marriages that do not follow the same advice and that is why they fall apart, too.

I'm not an expert, though, by any means.