Saturday, June 23, 2007

I dance?

Today my best friend and sister (in Christ) got married to a really nice and decent guy. He's best friends with my friend's brother. West Point grads, y'all. Good men. This was an emotional week for me, and thank God, for very good reasons. Graduation is emotional because I'm saying good-bye to kids I've known for four years. The mama side comes out with them--can't help it. Then, the "we found something" that turned out really well. That was scary, but it really made me stop and think about my life and the fact that I've retreated into a shell these past three years (ok-almost six years, but that includes a heavily broken heart that I want to ignore). I haven't lived much and I intend to do so. Then, today, my friend got married. She's moving really far (TX) and she gets to begin a new adventure in her life. I'm excited and happy for her and at times, can't contain my joy. I don't cry in public. I don't cry happy tears. I did both today. A little girl that was helping me with some hostess duties shadowed me. When the minister (I'll get into the wedding itself another day--when I've come down a bit.) was praying over the happy couple, I lost it. (I was doing so well, too.) The little girl asked me if I was crying and I said, "Yeah, but they are happy tears." She patted me on the back and said, "It will be ok." (Awwww...10 year olds are awesome.) Later she advised me that I should go somewhere and find myself a husband. I didn't realize it was that easy. ;P

So, I got to pin roses on the lapels of soldiers today. My hands shook. They've been places we never want to see. But the part that struck me the most today (aside from the little girl) was what my pastor had to say during the ceremony; that's what I'll get to another day.

Also, apparently after retiring my dancing shoes many years ago, I can still get a little funk-like groove on and still have good rhythym. I danced to one song, in honor of the '80s, with my best friend. Ok...I'm crying again. I'll stop here. This is the song that inspired me to dance! :)





2 comments:

Dionne said...

Thanks for sharing all of this. I find the older I get the easier I cry over things like this. And I don't know why but even if I'm not close to the bride I tear up whenever the music comes on for her to walk down the aisle.

Sezme said...

I just really lost it when our pastor prayed over them. I know the importance of that moment and what God means in the relationship and that God cares about everything and we have to give everything to Him...you know that stuff. Then on top of it all, we've been friends since I we were 12 (met in Sunday School), have been really close friends for at least the past 13 years if not more, she's moving to Texas...really close to Arizona, and he's in the military...so they could end up on the other side of the world at some point. That little girl was cute, though. Sweet, really. Sometimes God uses children to be profound. :) I've never cried like that in public, though.