Tuesday, June 19, 2007

May they rest in peace...

I'm very saddened by the news of the firefighters from South Carolina. I have a high school friend who is a firefighter and does confined space rescue. I pray for his safety once in a while. He's really brave and loves his job. I couldn't imagine him doing anything else. It is a calling and a loss like this hits all of the firemen around the country.

I also have a high school classmate that I have known since I was little. His dad was killed in a house fire when the floor collapsed. He thought more of his children were inside and he ran back in to get them. Everyone was safely outside or spending the night with friends. (Good time to mention that you do need 'meeting' points, folks.) After a while in the hospital he could not recover and died. I have been afraid of fire ever since. In fact, when I was in elementary school (around the time of Mr. H's death) we had the usual visit from the fire department. Every opportunity I had to shut off a gas burner or to blow out a candle, I did. I was that afraid.

Those bad memories of people grieving because someone's life was lost to a fire returned today. It is all just very sad and my heart goes out to the families, friends, and brothers of those firefighters.

Be safe, Birdman!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw that earlier today. Very sad.
My eldest is with the Denver Dept. so it hits a bit closer to home.

Skul

Anonymous said...

*Sigh*

My brother is a firefighter. I hate being reminded of the fact that it's dangerous.

Sezme said...

I hear ya. My friend Bird has been a firefighter (volunteer and full-time) since he was in high school. I worry a lot. But, that's his life and his calling. He's given me "the speech" about doing what he loves. I'm glad I'm not his wife. I'm sure she worries a lot, too.