Monday, April 16, 2007

Sad and Speechless

Today's events at Virginia Tech have left me quite speechless on the matter. I cannot fully comprehend the tragic events. I'll probably write more once credible, specific facts emerge. Until then, I think of the students my school sends to Va. Tech, many in the engineering program. I just don't want to talk about it right now, but I'm trying to understand this as a regular person and as an educator. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of all of those involved. Ugh.

8 comments:

Buckaroo Banzai said...

I heard the shooter was Asian. I reckon he got a "B" in math and freaked out. Heh.

Yeah, I'm going to hell.

Sezme said...

Oh, Wyatt. We still like you.

Anonymous said...

I'm just wondering about this "Asian" classification...

I recall several instances where "disadvantaged youths" were referred to as "Asian."

Sezme said...

Can I ever do anything serious? Damnit!

Anonymous said...

I can't understand the mentality of creeps like that. The self-rightousness of rosie ought to be something to behold today. Finger pointing has already started.

Skul

Sezme said...

He was nuts. A professor recognized it and it went no further (as far as we know). Countless times I've had to turn stuff into guidance counselors and there has always been follow-up with the kids. I'm afraid that in college, especially a big college that getting help is harder. Add to it that the young man is of a culture that probably made it hard for him to understand he needed help. It would be seen as a weakness and that is not acceptable. That's been my experience in my work with Asian students. A lot of students of Korean origins (that I teach) took this as a personal betrayal to their culture. Tough stuff.

Rosie is a big, huge ass!

Sezme said...

Excuse the poor writing skills. I'm tired and drained.

Sezme said...

Btw, Rosie should really have a meltdown this week. The anniversary of Columbine is Friday.