Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Here ya go, Grandaddy Skul!

Wow. I wish I had a grandpop named Skul. Tonight I am addressing Skul's questions from the "request" post. I went a bit long. Happy reading! (I'm kind of too tired to worry about proper mechanics and such. Sorry.)

Q: One thing does come to mind. You have an educational background. Without making yourself a target as Rachel mentioned, can our current system be discussed?"

A: To be honest, I am in a very demanding district with parents that have high expectations for their children. We also have very motivated students. The carrot of an Ivy League education or upper tier school is always dangled and very attainable for these kids.

I think there are changes that need to be made. Our elementary and middle schools (speaking for my district) do not teach grammar. The writing that is taught at the middle school level is fluff writing. I expect student writing to follow an argument and provide support. I also expect good mechanics and organizational skills. Most of my kids can't answer an entire prompt because they cannot form sophisticated thought. The forming/training of sophisticated thought begins in the lower grades. I don't care if the kid liked the book. I don't like every book I read or teach. However, I expect a literary opinion about what the author is doing in the literature. While every little detail of literature and arguing literature isn't life and death, the skills developed are very important. Through writing and class discussion kids learn conflict resolution, persuasive speech and writing, and they learn how to see things with a critical eye. Many people do not ask questions or see things with a critical eye; thus, the reason why we have so many people willing to believe every little thing the MSM says. I even try to get students to learn to question politicians as the debates get going. Sometimes it is an assignment to watch the debates to see what is really said and what isn't. Btw, all of this is a paraphrase of what I tell parents and students at the beginning of the year. My discipline teaches skills people will truly need most, if not all, of their lives.

Other changes? I think the entire high school system needs to be changed. There is so much unneeded crap. It should be run like a college schedule with the same idea of choices based on general education requirements and "major" requirements, with the opportunity for "minor" studies. I think Florida is trying a form of this, but I think it might still boil down to academic vs. vo-tech, just stated a nicer way. I hate, "but this is how we've always done it." That statement irks me to no end for every bit of life. If you don't find new ways of doing things, whatever it is that you've been doing the same way for a long time just starts to suck and get stale.

Inner-cities? I have no clue. I have not entered that beast and hope to God I never have to do so. I've had students from city schools and I ask about the differences and such. Discipline problems rank the highest in my unscientific surveys. Much smaller classes are needed. That is a costly alternative to the present system. However, how long are we going to allow kids to wallow in the muck of a system that has failed them. Yes, their parents could be more involved and for the kids with parents (suburban and urban) who would rather forget they have children, we as a society, have to acknowledge and support those kids. We can't leave these kids to fend for themselves. We also cannot have kids in schools who disrupt things because they don't want to be in class. How about forced vo-tech-type of juvie? Create laws that force these kids to do something and if they don't...off to for-real boot camp (suburban and urban kids...seen my share of its need in my own school).

I could go on and on...Plainly, though, we need to stop saying a child can't do certain things because of this, that and the other. We need to find ways to show children that they can do things. There will be students with limitations, but we've got to stop teaching them learned-helplessness and that they can "excuse-away" their behavior and lack of work ethic. The apathy is awful. School seems to be beneath them; they have more important things to do (actually had that said to me by a student, today).

Q: What causes inspiration for you?

A: When I see kids begin to love to learn and realize that they are capable of awesome things. I teach the regular level kids and honors kids, but sometimes the greatest satisfaction comes from the regular kids. I was once told I was too anal. I was told that I expected too much. Most of those whiners went on to AP Lit classes and are finishing up college in some very nice schools. I recommended one young man for honors, as a stretch for him but knew he'd work for it, and he wound up going to UPenn. He wrote the best thing in my yearbook my first year. He thanked me for making him view education in a different, more serious way. I also have a cherished letter from a student full of errors that thanked me for teaching him and believing in his potential. He eventually went on to the University of Delaware.

Q: What makes the big question mark turn on?

A: I'm usually too tired for question mark moments. I like to try to figure out people and motivations. I think it is because of my analytic "training." I tend to think too much. Oddly, I like to try to understand mechanical things and the scientific/mathematical forces behind them. What makes things go or how to put things together. When I was little my grandpop, that I lived with, died and he had a workshop of workshops. I used to get the old wood left behind and try to build things to see if they were sound. I didn't go near the Norm Abrahms type electrical stuff...too scary. I also learned how to strip paint with a blow-torch, but I never tried it.

Q: What makes you sit up and take notice?

A: Brilliant minds at work in the world. I am continually amazed at how people solve various problems with good old fashioned smarts. I like when people make me think.

Q: What makes you think "Wow"??

A: Wow in a bad way: Stupidity and purposeful, intended lack of intellect (brainless twits who are that way because they think it is cute). Wow in a good way: Creative people and their willingness to share that creativity.

You, on the other hand, have been tasked to teach my grand-kids values that are useful in their lives.

No. You have been tasked to teach your grandchildren values that are useful in their lives. That is the big thing that is missing. I have noticed that I can expect, demand, and beg for good manners, honesty, and hard work from my students, but if it is not expected at home...I'm certainly not going to see it. Heck, I have parents that lie for their children or try to make upteen excuses for their children. Now you tell me, who is more influential?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are correct in the last statement. I really worded that improperly. I think you know that. Sorry I haven't been back, I'm in Australia for ANZAC, and computer access is limited.

I must admit, I agree with much of what you said. I recall a wonderful Eng-Lit teacher from high school (her name is Miss Wisgerber). That lady was unbelievable. She spoke with a passion, she taught with passion. She was an inspiration. I'll never forget her. You do the same for your students too.

Skul

Sezme said...

I looked up ANZAC. I had never heard of it. Did you have family that fought in the war as part of ANZAC?

I enjoyed the history lesson. :)

I was helping a student that I had last year because she didn't understand something for a class she has this year. When her brain started to really click, she looked at me and said, "You know what Ms. **? You're are so helpful." That was a nice end to a crazy week.

Anonymous said...

Nope, no direct family here. The Aussies are just old soldiers I served with in Nam. One of them did the first aid on me when I got blown-up a little bit. Another one found my hat and wings. He thought I'd been killed. I thought the same of him. He found me about eight years ago, and I've been coming down to Oz for ANZAC ever since. I even made the front page of the national newspaper last year. It's a good time.

Skul

Sezme said...

I work with a guy who was shot down (helo)several times in 'Nam.

Anonymous said...

Let him know one of your crazy commenters is a 282AHC Blackcat. I flew "I" corps 67-68 out of Hue.

Skul

Sezme said...

What type aircraft? He said he had friends there when you were.

My colleague flew "I" Corps out of Hue 69-70

Anonymous said...

UH-1D's

You have my e-mail addy. Use that. I'll be back in the States late saturday.

Skul

Sezme said...

You'll have to email me through my email link on the blog. I don't think I have your email.