Saturday, February 03, 2007

The art of choosing a theme song

With a lonnnnng election season beginning for 2008, the candidates are tuning up by giving speeches that state their beliefs for the direction of our country. The most important part of those speeches, of course, are the theme songs that the hopefuls use. I think the song titles reveal a little bit about the candidates' personalities, too. Let's analyze...(I'm trying so hard not to get into trouble today):

John Edwards: "This Is Our Country" by John Mellencamp:
This title can mean so many things. Could it be a bit of hypocrisy? Afterall, Edwards is a very wealthy man, with the most expensive home in N.C. So, by saying it's "our country," isn't he saying it on behalf of the rich? Therefore, isn't he backtracking on the one thing he tries to hammer us with in his "I was a po' boy growin' up," speeches? He could also be using this song to state that the Democrats own the country. Well, that's what they think, isn't it? There's no inclusion in their tone, especially within the beltway. I find this song title quite elitist.

Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut: "Get Ready (Cause Here I Come)" by the Temptations and "Reach Out," also by the Temptations:
Get with it you old fogey! See, he's lost already. He's pandering to the boomers while forgetting those that pay for the boomers to collect social security. At least he warns us of his arrival. "Here I come, I'm going to bore you to death with my old ideas." Then as he is leaving, he wants to shake your hand for the photo ops, so he gives a verbal cue with, "Reach Out." Funny thing about that song title, though. Do the Democrats truly reach out? Yes, they do. They reach out, right into my pockets. Sorry guys; all you'll get is lint. Well, maybe a tic-tac.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York: "Right Here, Right Now," by Jesus Jones and "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" by Bachman-Turner Overdrive:
See, Hillary is always giving commands. She is such a shrill woman. "Right here, right now! I order you to listen to me! I have something important to say!" I don't always blame Willy for his actions; afterall, how would you respond to her 'tude? "Bill! I want you to (fill-in-the-blank-with any random command), right here, right now!" Could you imagine being married to that caterwauling? In addition to her commands to listen to her, we also have to watch her walk away, and we are reminded of it! Does she not realize that the title, "Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and the view of her from behind combine for a hillary-ous image? Well, Hill, we don't want to see any more of you, that's for sure. (At least Condi could use "These Boots Are Made For Walking." Hmmm....I think I might adopt that one as mine.)

Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio: "America the Beautiful":
Really, Dennis. Couldn't you be a little more original? You hate America. If you loved America and thought she was beautiful, you wouldn't want to turn her into a Communist state and make us all eat tofu. That raises a question in my mind. Do all people who eat massive quantities of tofu look as "ick" as this guy?

A couple of songs that might suit you better are "Another One Bites the Dust" because you have absolutely no chance of winning (Why are you wasting the money of others to feed your ego?), and "The Sound of Silence" since no one will be at your rallies...well, maybe the non-shaving lasses will visit for the free tofu.

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois decided against using any music in keeping with the somber tone he sought to convey:
What, no dirges available? "It's Not Easy Being Green" would have been a good choice. Well, according to Biden's backtrack, B.O. is "fresh." Callow, maybe?

Wesley Clark, who hasn't indicated whether he will run, entered to Johnny Cash's "I Won't Back Down":
See! Clark never has an original idea! He had to use a remake of a Tom (I look like Kermit the Frog) Petty song. What is he not backing down from? "I will look sound judgment and common sense in the face and not back down from my desire to exemplify utter stupidity!"

How about you use "I'm a Loser" by the Beatles.

Feel free to provide your own song choices for the candidates. :)


(apnews.myway.com)

No comments: